Do you need affordable health coverage? Medi-Cal provides affordable health, dental* and vision** coverage to qualified low-income California residents.
Who is Covered
Medi-Cal offers coverage to qualifying low-income families with children, seniors (age 65 and older), and people with disabilities.
Effective Jan. 1, 2014, Medi-Cal now also offers coverage to more adults. As part of the federal health care law, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Affordable Care Act), Medi-Cal now extends healthcare coverage to the following qualifying low-income adults:
- Adults (under age 65) who have no children, or have children over age 21
- Parents of children who were previously denied for Medi-Cal for having too many assets (like a boat or truck)
- Former foster youth who are 21 or older
What you get with Medi-Cal
Under no-cost Medi-Cal you receive:
- Doctor services
- Inpatient/Outpatient Hospital services
- Prescription drugs
- Behavioral/Mental health
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Clinic services
- Long term care
- Medical case management visits
- Dental services*
- Vision care services**
*Children under 21 are currently eligible for dental coverage under Medi-Cal; Adults will be eligible starting May 2014
**Children under 21 are eligible for an exam and glasses; Adults are eligible for an exam only
How to apply for Medi-Cal
There are three ways to apply:
- Visit coveredca.com
- Visit c4yourself.com
- With an eligibility worker at a county clinic or your local Department of Public Social Services (DPSS)
To find out if you're eligible for Medi-Cal, call the IEHP Enrollment Assistance Unit at 1-888-860-1298. Hours are 8am-6pm Monday-Thursday and 8am-5pm on Friday. TTY users should call 1-800-720-4347.
More information on Medi-Cal
Visit the following links for more information:
IEHP Medi-Cal Members
If you're already a Medi-Cal Member through IEHP, download the Medi-Cal Member Handbook. Your Handbook will explain covered benefits like how to find a Doctor, how to get care, and more.
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 or later to view the PDF files. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader.