Since our inception in September of 1996, IEHP has successfully met the health care needs of the community. Our commitment remains strong, leading the way to healthcare reform in 2014.
Below is a timeline of how we began, our accomplishments along the way, and the events leading up to 2014.
- 1993: California shifts the delivery of Medi-Cal from mainly fee-for-service to a managed care system.
- 1994: IEHP is established as the local initiative, not-for-profit Medi-Cal Managed Care health plan in the Inland Empire.
- 1996: IEHP begins operations with over 60,000 Medi-Cal members.
- 1997: IEHP establishes the Public Policy Participation Committee (PPPC) for members to give feedback and voice their opinions.
- 1997: IEHP creates the first Super Hero, Rad Rider, helping children learn important bicycle safety rules.
- 1998: IEHP launches the Healthy Families Program, for uninsured children in working families who do not qualify for Medi-Cal.
- 2000: One of the first Medi-Cal only health plans in California to receive "Commendable" NCQA Accreditation.
- 2001: Ranked the 9th largest Medicaid Plan in the United States.
- 2001: IEHP creates the second Super Hero, Eradicator, to lead a community-wide, anti-smoking campaign for children.
- 2002: IEHP becomes the first full-service health plan in the nation to receive full NCQA accreditation for Disease Management.
- 2002: IEHP launches the Healthy Kids Program, for low-income uninsured children who do not qualify for Medi-Cal or Healthy Families.
- 2002: IEHP forms the Persons with Disabilities Workgroup (PDW) for members with a disability to share their experiences and help IEHP improve its services.
- 2003: IEHP partners with Riverside and San Bernardino counties to develop the award-winning program, Open Access, for foster care children.
- 2005: IEHP launches the Open Access Program for foster care children in San Bernardino County.
- 2006: IEHP is recognized by the Managed Risk Medical Insurance Board (MRMIB) as a top-enrollment entity for the Healthy Families Program.
- 2007: IEHP launches a Medicare Special Needs Plan, IEHP Medicare DualChoice (HMO SNP), for people with both Medi-Cal and Medicare.
- 2008: Ranked the #1 Medicaid Plan in California by U.S. News and World Report.
- 2009: Ranked the #2 Medicaid Plan in California by U.S. News and World Report.
- 2009: IEHP creates the third Super Hero, Super Nutricia, to rescue kids from the evils of junk food and promote healthy-eating habits.
- 2010: IEHP launches new Innovation Projects — Diabetes Management, Enhanced Primary Care Access, and the Health Navigator Program. In June, the Health Navigators began home visits to help members better navigate the health care system.
- 2011: Expansion of Healthcare Coverage Initiative (HCCI) to all counties in California. New participating counties will be referred to as Coverage Expansion and Enrollment Demonstration (CEEDs).
- 2011: Seniors and people with disabilities who have Medi-Cal will be required to enroll into managed care.
- 2014: Implementation of healthcare reform policies across the nation and the Cal MediConnect Plan. In the Inland Empire, more than 350,000 Inland Empire residents will become eligible for health coverage through the Medi-Cal expansion, over 530,000 residents will be eligible for the Health Exchange, and 80,000 residents will be eligible for the Cal MediConnect Plan.
- 2015: IEHP reaches their 1 Million Member Milestone.